|Moderated by: Admin|
Father of a Trans
|Please take a moment to view my story of The Loss of a Son. Its not finished yet its in the beginning when I'm trying not to explode. I've come a long way and I'lll get to the more recent events and the changes in my life but I think its important to get my side of the story out. It might help others with their own stuggles.
Please also let others know about my site and they and you can leave comments. But before you do let everyone know our relationship is at a better place now and were both adjusting.
Last edited on 2010-11-17 02:35 am by Admin
|Hi Father of a Trans - I read your blog and it is heartwrenching.
We do try to keep this forum positive and uplifting. We have all heard and experienced parental reactions such as yours and need to hear the positive. By saying this, it is not at all my intent to diminish your feelings.
I'd like to encourage you to complete your blog with some positive thoughts when you've come through your negative reaction and post your blog again.
You may try PFLAG - an organization of parents and friends of our community. They will help you realize that you have not lost a son - but gained a daughter, that your daughter is the same beautiful soul now as she was as a man and that this is very far from the worst thing that could ever happen to you.
Best of luck.
If other forum members disagree with my decision to remove this link - please reply.
Last edited on 2010-11-17 03:01 am by Admin
|You're the father of a Trans person, by the way. It's an adjective, never a noun (or, god help us, a verb).
No matter where you are in your process of accepting your daughter as she truly is, I strongly recommend that you join http://groups.yahoo.com/group/transfamilyofcleve/ (open list) and/or http://groups.yahoo.com/group/transkidsfamily/ (parents-only list). Talking to other parents makes all the difference in the world. If you don't want to talk, just read and listen!
Other helpful stuff:
http://t-vox.org/ - resource/info central
* Luna by Julie Anne Peters
* Becoming a Visible Man by Jamison Green
* She's Not There by Jennifer Finney Boylan
* The Transgender Child by Stephanie Brill and Rachel Pepper
* Trans Forming Families, edited by Mary Boenke (third edition, 2008) - available from PFLAG's Transgender Network for $10 US
* The Our Trans Children leaflet (sixth edition) - available from PFLAG's Transgender Network for $2 US, or you can save and print it yourself for free. The booklet is their only source of revenue, so if you can pay for it, please do!
* TransGeneration (Ignore what Lucas says in the first episode about hormones being "very dangerous" - they're not, not if you get them through a competent doctor and have regular - which usually means annual - bloodwork, and that was irresponsible of him to say.)
(The books, aside from Trans Forming Families, can be ordered on amazon.com or you can get the ISBNs from amazon.com and bring them to any bookstore to order them. Trans Forming Families is available from PFLAG's Transgender Network for $10 US. The DVD can be ordered on amazon.com also, as you see from the link.)
Last edited on 2010-11-26 06:58 pm by