hello everyone. im not really sure how to go about this as ive never talked about it before. but im getting desparate. i am 18 years old and as far back as i can remember ive always felt like something was wrong. ive never felt right in my body, its the wrong body and i dont know what to do. im so unhappy. ive tried to stick it out in the hope that it will get better, but it hasnt. and the older ive gotten the more ive felt like something really isnt right. i need some advice, some help maybe. i dont know where to go or who to talk to. can anyone help me please?
Hi "dirtylittlefreak" - I take it you are a Pink fan! me to
There is alot of information on this site for you. Scroll down to the transgender section. Some video of Chaz Bono and lots of places/numbers you can use to get some counseling and advice from people who really know what is going on. You can also send a pm to the person who posted alot of the info in the transgender section to have a more one on one communication.
Most of all- do not be too hard on yourself. And know that all will work out. You are not by any means the only person who has had these feelings or find themselves in the situation you are currently in. Be strong, treat yourself with love and start a focused attempt to see what your options are. Start by searching this site, reading posts and making connections.
I strongly recommend getting a Livejournal at http://www.livejournal.com/create.bml . It's fine if you don't want to keep an online journal. You don't have to post in your personal journal. The point is the communities; that's where the support is, WAY more than here. Just reading the communities is hugely helpful; no one will pressure you to post or to share private info. See http://transgender.livejournal.com/1133801.html for LJ communities that may help you. I recommend the genderqueer, ftm, and transgender communities in particular, but more is better. Go to the userinfo (profile) page of any community and click the link at the top right of the profile, where it says Join. And spend a lot of time at http://ftm.livejournal.com/tag/ .
Links for you - take your time going through them! The point is that you have a load of them so you can go through them at whatever pace you want, and in whatever order you want, and not have to stop to look for more for quite a while. Getting through them is not a race, and going through them slowly is probably a better idea. Go through them in whatever order you want; I just have them listed by URL length so they're easier to read. And hopefully I'll see you over at http://ftmichael.transboys.info/yayforqueers.html !
Must-reads if you can get hold of them:
* Just Add Hormones by Matt Kailey
* Luna by Julie Anne Peters (YA fiction)
* Parrotfish by Ellen Wittlinger (YA fiction)
* Becoming a Visible Man by Jamison Green
* The Transgender Child by Stephanie Brill and Rachel Pepper
* Gender Outlaws: The Next Generation, edited by S. Bear Bergman and Kate Bornstein
* Trans Forming Families, edited by Mary Boenke (third edition, 2008) - available from PFLAG's Transgender Network - http://community.pflag.org/Page.aspx?pid=413 - for $10 US
* The Our Trans Children leaflet (sixth edition) - available from PFLAG's Transgender Network - http://community.pflag.org/Page.aspx?pid=413 - for $2 US, or you can save and print it yourself for free. The booklet is their only source of revenue, so if you can pay for it, please do!
* TransGeneration - http://amazon.com/TransGeneration-Raci-Ignacio/dp/B000CRR3I8 (Ignore what Lucas says in the first episode about hormones being "very dangerous" - they're not, not if you get them through a competent doctor and have regular - which usually means annual - bloodwork, and that was irresponsible of him to say.)
(The books, aside from Trans Forming Families, can be ordered on Amazon or you can get the ISBNs from Amazon and bring them to any bookstore to order them. The DVD can be ordered on Amazon also, as you see from the link.)